Evening clouds

Evening clouds
Sunshine and Clouds

Thursday 15 December 2022

D93 #100WorkingDays The next generation

 I have been conscious that a new generation of professionals are coming along who want to explore their chosen specialities. They bring fresh ideas such as new drugs and therapies. It is exciting to see the enthusiasm and inquisitive nature through the work of places like the Cicely Saunders Institute. I am sure the lantern model of nursing developed at St Christopher’s is another example of new ways of thinking that will influence the future.

At work we have an opportunity to help develop the future when we host students and share our experiences, knowledge, and expertise. At the same time these students are facing real challenges in terms of the financial situation they get into. The system of loans and bursaries places a burden that I was fortunate to avoid. On the day of the first big strike called by the Royal College of Nursing I am reminded of my good fortune to be paid a salary whilst training. I do wonder though if my generation of nurses - that’s those who started as an SRN or SEN were not courageous enough to take on governments about pay and conditions. Did our Unions let us down? 

I understand the strength of feeling about the calls for the strike not being not just about pay. I’ve been in my current role about 4.5 years and the capacity of the care system (that’s NHS, Social care and Independent charities) to cope with the demands has reduced dramatically. Staffing levels are under pressure creating a further strain on all parts of the system. It’s going to be the next generation who will need to find solutions for the problems we face. And that’s important to me as I become more likely to use more of the care system by reason of my age. My grandson will need a care system that will enable him to grow and develop without fear of serious illness or disease impacting his life. And this is a wish common to all parents and grandparents. Ensuring that legacy is still part of my responsibility.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment