Evening clouds

Evening clouds
Sunshine and Clouds

Friday 12 May 2023

My last International Nurses Day 2023

 

It’s International Nurses Day, 2023

It is a sudden watershed for me. Since December last year I have not been in a nursing role, as I now work part time as a Freedom To Speak Up Guardian. A role that is not without challenges it has its positives too. It often feels like I’m nursing the Acute trust I work in.

This piece is more about me and Nursing. It started in the late 1970’s when I had tried different kinds of work, (shops and offices) and needed to find something I thought I could stick at. The initial enquiry about nursing arose form a suggestion by a lady called Eileen I worked with in a catering job. By the time commuting to an office at the BBC[1] began to pall, I applied for a training place and was given an interview. Accepted, by both parties my training started in 1978. My learning has not stopped since.

Early on I recognised the Nursing was a ‘home’ for me, and that I might be able to stick at it in the long term. Working with those near the end of their lives appealed and that was the focus of my career for the last 30 or so years of it, in hospitals and hospices.

I’ve met all sorts of interesting people, in a variety of places, from Richmond House to Kemerovo in Siberia and South Africa. And even now it’s a joy to meet new people and later today I’ll be meeting student nurses to tell them about Freedom To Speak Up.

I have decided though that I will not renew my registration as a Registered nurse when it is due for renewal next. Nursing has been a great place to be and is something I remain interested in. With other calls on my time, I want to be able to give attention to family and friends as well as myself.

I pass on to anyone new to anyone new to nursing the one thing I have learnt over my career is to look after oneself. Physical – your feet and back, mentally – recognising depression for example, and spiritually keeping eyes open to opportunities for joy.

Enjoy IND 2023 and give thanks for those who have nursed before us, trained us, developed us and who are going into nursing now.

[1] With Eurovision fever high at present, whilst at the BBC I got to bump into ABBA in the door at Broadcasting House whilst at the height of their fame.




No comments:

Post a Comment