Evening clouds

Evening clouds
Sunshine and Clouds

Sunday 9 October 2022

D46 #100WorkingDays Bournemouth

 I was called to the Director of Nursing’s office once at Edgware, it was urgent I was told. Of course I was wondering what I had done wrong. This kind of invite was usually a bad sign. So it was with trepidation I approached the door, was ushered in and invited to sit. I was working on a surgical ward as staff nurse where we often received compliments and tokens of thanks such as chocolates. Sometimes extravagant promises were made by patients or families to show appreciation for our work. Sat in a low chair, lower than the Director, with the big desk between us I’d no idea what was coming.

I’d not be married long and this was going to be important. I was asked if I recalled Mr B, who’d been on our ward a few months before. His face swam into memory with recollections of a promise of thanks at some future date. Having fully recovered from an eventful stay in hospital he had been in touch to make his offer. After confirming I was now married the Director told me we were being offered a free weekend in Bournemouth courtesy of Mr B. This was with about a weeks notice. I realised the Director didn’t want to send an unmarried couple off on this jaunt. The roster showed I was free.

So it was on a darkening December Friday afternoon we set off in the Mini. It felt a long drive but we made it to the 1930s hotel in central Bournemouth, now part of a well known chain.We made contact with our host who kindly explained that the business community he was part of had an annual weekend in Bournemouth. He asked that we joined him and his family for the evening dinners on Friday and Saturday, and the entertainment that followed on Saturday night. Otherwise we were free to spend the time as we liked. It was very kind, an unexpected break at the end of a busy year. 

Bournemouth, in springtime a favourite conference spot of mine in later years 


No comments:

Post a Comment