Evening clouds

Evening clouds
Sunshine and Clouds

Tuesday 13 December 2022

D91 #100WorkingDays Am I an expert?

 Over my career I’ve focused on the care of the dying and palliative care as it developed. Along the way there’s been opportunities for learning whether in a classroom, lecture theatre, bedsides and meeting rooms. And recently social media provides an extra dimension to my education and networking. 

I’ve learnt to be present at the side of those dying and as they die. Listening to stories, as part of being person centred enables choices to be discussed and met. I’m conscious that some of the details from training have been forgotten. As time has gone by other lessons have been learnt. Taking care of those for whom I have a responsibility at work is an area that has had its challenges. There’s been sudden and unexpected changes in circumstances, from a professional and personal point of view for team members. For me being calm and taking a mental step back allows decisions to be made. In the most difficult situations I’ve found that if I can sleep ok once I know what I’ll do it’s probably the going to work out ok.

There are plenty of people I admire as being experts that I meet in the working day as well as read about and listen to. What makes them an expert, and why doubt myself? It has echoes in my confidence levels making me feel uneasy at the thought of being an expert. And now as I tell people I’m leaving my nursing post I get kind messages. It helps me understand my impact and that I’m not such an imposter after all.





No comments:

Post a Comment