Evening clouds

Evening clouds
Sunshine and Clouds

Sunday 2 September 2018

The NHS and me at 40

The 3rd September has historic resonances that impacted many; the date this year 2018, is a milestone for me. It marks the 40th anniversary of the start of my working in healthcare and specifically the NHS. I entered nurse training in 1978 at Edgware, north London. In those days (older person speak) we were paid so my pension contributions began.
In July I was conscious I’d been part of the UK healthcare system for over half of the life of the NHS. This led to some reflecting on what has happened since my first days as a student nurse.
I became a State Registered Nurse (SRN) under the auspices of the General Nursing Council (GNC) who set a rigorous exam at the end of one's training. Then came the UKCC and now we have the NMC. Now we have a visual printed code, rather than an imprinted culture, and I think we’re better for it. Only a few of those I came across as a student caused concern however it was more difficult to report and remove those who did not uphold good practice.
I found great examples in my training and early years as a staff nurse; they kept me going and enthused. Alongside that the NHS had a ‘local’ feel; we knew who worked in the local ambulance services, the community and often this played to the patients advantage. There was a sense of teamwork, and we rarely saw senior managers. Undoubtedly we faced bastions of tradition, be it a single person or organisation.
In all those years there’s been scandals and times when being part of nursing has not been comfortable. And times too, if being truly honest, that I’ve made mistakes.

My career pathway was set from early on (my first ward placement) even though Palliative Care was not really recognised and hospices were relatively new.
The NHS itself has been through change; the local knowledge, history and relationships altered as decision making has moved away only for it to look like it will need to come back as we strive to do more with what resources we have at our disposal locally.
Clinical practice has changed too. I recall my dad having a cataract removed in the very early seventies and him lying still in bed for days; it’s a day surgery appointment now.
The application of technology has helped clinically, ‘through the keyhole’ is not a TV programme more a way of surgical life. Yet the NHS still struggles to use technology to assist in the day to day running of clinics and sharing information. Yes I can get my GP appointments, test results (service user too) and medications all done online. It helps that I know my way round the systems yet I remain concerned for those who lack the access and have no family to help in an increasingly fragmented system.

To be positive we now have much more access and ability to share what’s good, and what’s not thanks to the internet.
Of recent developments, improving attitudes and access to care for the dying and the impact of social media have made a difference to my working life.
The #WeCommunities website and the @WeNurses links (and there lots of others) have led to new friendships and routes for learning.
This is just a snapshot; so much has been fun and enjoyable with fabulous people, whilst set against times of heartache and loss. Nursing has been a place I’ve thought of as home after trying other careers. I remain thankful for my experiences; I’m still proud to say I’m a nurse and look forward to saying that for some time to come, even if not another 40 years.

1 comment:

  1. NHS much much better than sliced bread. I just had a taste by having a carpal tunnel operation. Excellent care and compassion including a superfluous attendace by an interpreter.

    ReplyDelete