Evening clouds

Evening clouds
Sunshine and Clouds

Monday 3 October 2022

D42 #100WorkingDays MCQs and other trials

 As I reached the end of my training the exams became a focus. Past papers were examined and revision was the order of the day. A little while before our exams the General Nursing Council (GNC) had introduced a new element in the State Registration exams, called multiple choice questions (MCQs). I’d not encountered these in any serious way before. I understood that it was best to mark the answer you were certain about and not overthink or change one’s first answer.

The written exam was 5 questions to be attempted in 3 hours. An echo of ‘A’ levels and past failures was in the shadows. At around 3 years after starting we sat the exam. 3 hours written, a break and then one and a half hours allowed for the MCQs. Time went by and I felt pleased with my essay. The MCQs were done, but I seemed to finish quite quickly compared to my classmates. Doubt crept in and I went over my answers and changed one or two. Roll on a few weeks and the results come in, posted to us all at the nurses home. Passing gave you a thicker envelope with details of becoming a State Registered Nurse (SRN). Failure was a thinner missive. Mine was thinner.

Discussion with my Tutor revealed I’d aced the written exam but the MCQs got me by a few points. Enough to fail first time round and perhaps it was changing the answers that altered my fate. So I had to wait 3 months before retaking the exam, a time I managed to fill with an obstetrics placement, giving me a life long admiration of midwives. An ex-midwife of our acquaintance helped with exam coaching and revision. The second time, going through both parts again, I sailed through. Around this time I’d begun driving lessons as it was time to get mobile. I’d tried driving as teenager only to fail the test 3 times, another dent in my confidence. So I began again at the wheel of a BSM mini Metro learning to navigate the joys of London driving. A skill set that’s come in handy ever since. 




No comments:

Post a Comment